Flashback Martial Arts works hard to provide a safe, clean training environment. Equipment and mats cleaned daily after use. A larger challenge can be overseeing the proper hygiene of our students. Students are asked to take personal responsibility for themselves and their training partners.
Here are some healthy practices we strongly encourage (or often times require) for our members to maintain good hygiene:
- Come to each class with a freshly washed uniform (gi) – not just air-dried from the previous class.
- If you wear knee braces, ankle supports, or any other type of equipment be sure those are washed after each practice as well.
- Trim your finger nails and toe nails regularly.
- Remove any jewelry such as necklaces, earrings, and wedding rings before training. This is not just to prevent lost or damaged jewelry. Jewelry can also cause open wounds for you or others.
- Freshen your breath with gum or by brushing your teeth prior to practice. Your training partners will not appreciate bad breath.
- Make sure you have clean hands before coming to train.
- If you tend to sweat profusely during rolling, have a towel nearby to wipe yourself off between rolls or rounds.
- Always do a self check for any form of an open wound before and after each training. These wounds could include cuts or friction burns from the mat or your uniform. Wash any open wounds immediately as they could easily get infected.
- Wear a t-shirt or rash guard under your uniform.
- Use a paper bowl to wipe away any pools of sweat or drops of blood rather than a personal towel. Disinfect the area affected immediately after it has been wiped clean.
- Wear flip-flops or some other type of footwear when using the restroom.
- Take a shower as soon as possible right after training. Take as hot of a shower as you can tolerate and take time to scrub your body down with soap such as defense soap.
- All sweaty clothing and equipment should be separated from all other clean clothing and equipment. It is recommended not to put sweaty clothing in the same bag you will use to bring clean clothing to the gym during your next visit.
For additional news and information about Flashback Martial Arts, please visit our Facebook page www.facebook.com/FlashbackBJJ or stop in and visit us at 2310 W College Ave, Suite G in Appleton, WI. Call us at 920-205-8118. All new members are offered a one week free trial period!